Nat suffered from high fever over the weekend. Fortunately it's not caused by Influenza, but definitely viral as the temperature went up to 39.9degrees.
Scared the hell out of us, as we tried all means of lowering her temperature from cold towels to wiping her down, had to rush her to the hospital as the temperature rises persistently. Spent more than 3 hours at the hospital as we waited for the various tests to be returned. Didn't help that Wendy wasn't exactly the likes of Veronica ( her favourite PD or rather mummy's favourite as she is always so ever gentle with Nat), she was a backup since Veronica didn't start her day as early. Beggars couldn't be choosers, right but next time I'll rather wait another hour for Veronica. First thing Wendy did was to check her palm and feet for waterblobs, then checked her ears, and finally throat. All seems normal, except the temperature. Wendy suspected influenza, and explained that she had seen a spike in influenza related fevers over the past weeks. Causes unsure, but what came to my mind at that instant was .. oh dear could it be SARS again?? Has anyone been to the house and had viral fever? Was it someone from the workplace since virus could survive for days?
Nat underwent some further tests and good thing all returned negative. Fortunately it wasn't influenza.. but definitely viral.. and she is unsure of which one.. In the end we were told to go home, monitor the situation for the time being. Nat was prescribed both Nuerofen ( For temp more than 38.5) and Paracetamol.
Nat's fever fluctuated for the next few days. I hardly slept as she was such a picky eater and super whinny when ill. Our heartaches for her as she lets out little sighs whilst she slept. We split key duties to make sure that she was well taken care of round the clock. Daddy is the key temperature reader and mummy the feeder, cuddler, entertainer.. She just wanted mummy all the time to the extent where I couldn't even place her in her cot and had to keep her close to me.
Temperature dropped to 37ish degree today and she had her first heat rash. Thought it was chicken pox - never had them so any reddish blobs are chicken pox to me. Goggled and finally found out and was convinced that it was just heat rash when we place her in an airconditioned room =). No need to see the PD again tomorrow. Hopefully she'll sleep through the itch and it'll go away tomorrow.
I think next time u can ask me, the kids had it before, its called roseola. No need to panic :) A link I quickly found for u http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html
ReplyDeleteHi guru mummy, you are so right! just reading the symptons roseala seems to fit what we went through with Nat. Next time I'll just give you a call. The doctor didnt even have a term for it. Won't go to this dr. wendy the next time.. made us panic for nothing. so how's life? still enjoying time with your kids? I am beginning to wonder if I should go on part time as well. I sometimes feel stuck in this role.. want to venture but dont know to where or what.. =) catch with you on days when you are less clingy to your kids k!
ReplyDeleteYeah a good PD is important, esp one who sees hundreds of sick kids per week cos then they'll roughly know what's in the air.
ReplyDeleteOur PD is someone like that, he also specialises in premature babies, hence he's very careful and attentive to each sick kid. I feel at ease everytime we see him for something out of the ordinary.
Roseola, he took a look and told us what it is, esp that its not something to worry about, and warned us abt upcoming rash :) So he's good!! :)
Hmmm gg part-time, I think its most ideal, but can the role be PT esp now market's picking up again? We can still chat anytime! I am free on weekday mornings, which is when u r not! Hard to chat w kids ard... Any chance u're on half day morning anytime soon? We can meet for breakfast, anytime 830-1130 is good for me :) OR lunch also can, but I need to ask ILs to help w kids, so still can be arranged! :)