Thursday, March 5, 2009

Murphy's Law

It's true, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Mum was hospitalised since the first day of my confinement. She had an ongoing fever for almost a week. Suspecting it might be viral as doctors weren't able to advise the diagnosis, we shifted over nite on 25 Feb back to my place. It was a tiring shift, particularly with the newborn and me being too weak to help and I was practicing on demand feeding at that time both baby and I were adjusting to each other's time slots.

Natalie is a demanding baby. She could suckle for at least an hour during the initial feed and wakes up every 2 hours asking for more. I was totally exhausted from the ongoing feeding and nappy changing. Fortunately, my helper had had some experience looking after babies. She assisted with bathing and took over nite duty of nappy changing.

My mother in-law(MIL) took over the preparation and cooking of confinement food. Being a traditional woman who followed the typical confinement practices, I was not allowed to switch on the aircon/fan. Following tradition had been a uphill task and all the perspiration didn't help either. I broke the rules on strictly no bathing a couple of times within the first week and washed my hair on the 2nd week. I tell you no expensive dry shampoo could help after 2 weeks. The extent of how bad I stank? Per my sister's words,' Stay at least 2 seats away from me.'

As for my mum, she was hospitalised for a week. She suffered from acute fever, followed by prolonged arthralgic disease that affects the joints of the extremities. Doctors suspected Chikungunya. The pain would persist for couple of weeks and according to the doctor could last for several months. She had been given antibiotics and require ample rest. This means I would have to survive with mil and maid's help for another week...

No comments:

Post a Comment