Now that Nathan is reaching his first month's milestone, all of a sudden I realised I have yet to write about his entire delivery process! Hope my memory doesn't fail me... here's the series of events...
0630 : woken up by mild contractions
0900: checked in at RH despite doctor's advice to admit at 0000hours cause 1)papa zonked out and 2)natalie has been crying and pleading us not to send her to her grandma's.
0930: pill was inserted to induce labour as contractions were far apart
1230: Lunch was served; feeling more regular contractions that felt like cramps, but no real need for epidural as i am tempted by the thought of delivering without epi.
1330: Dr Watt came by to check how far I've progressed. So far only 3cm. She decided to break my water bag and prescribed me with oxytocin. Oxytocin really worked it's way almost instantaneously! I felt intense contractions as gushes of water was discharged.
1330: Dr Watt came by to check how far I've progressed. So far only 3cm. She decided to break my water bag and prescribed me with oxytocin. Oxytocin really worked it's way almost instantaneously! I felt intense contractions as gushes of water was discharged.
1400: Anesthetist Dr Chan came to my rescue. He worked his ways quickly and didn't give me time to reconsider when he mentioned the risks of epi where 1 in 30,000 women may experience permanent disability. Then he asked the nurses if I have signed the consent form for performing the epi, I said no and he quickly dished the form out. I didnt have time to look in details when a severe contraction commenced, causing me to hold my breathe and quickly wish for it to be over... immediately he took out his 'tools' and asked me to give my spine to him and stop cringing away. Nurses held me down as my next contraction passes. Then it was over.... instant relieve and gratification...but before I could thank him, he was already out the door! I think his skills are way better than Dr Pay's (previous anesthetist). Heard from the nurses that he was one of the best.
1500: Chris had his kopi break and gone back to his emails...and I tried to catch some sleep since the mid wife mentioned that dilation would take another 7 hours. Called my parents, telling them not to stay up as baby would only be here in the night.
1600: I felt a 'plod' in my pelvis, something that felt really hard was trying to squeeze through. As I was high on drugs, I couildn't feel the contractions nor the movements of baby. Tried squeezing it back, and told Chris about it. He said not to bother him with such trivialities as he is answering an important email. I insisted that he call for the nurse.
1630: I was 7-8 cm dilated. Chris had a shock at how quickly the dilations came. I was getting ready to push Nathan out. Nurses called for the gynae to be present and updated her of the speedy improvement.
1715: Dr Watt rushed in. Nathan was crowning at this point and with 1 or 2 further pushes. He was out!
According to Chris, Nathan came out kicking and screaming. He reminded him of gingerbread man, ready to run off the operating table, and Chris was pschying himself up to give chase if that really happens! I had a good laugh hearing this =)


Lunch at RH: I had sirloin steak with mushroom soup.



No comments:
Post a Comment