Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Salt and bone- pelvic ache

According to webmed, Salt Is Bad for the Bone!

Salt can pose a great obstacle to a sturdy skeleton. Research has found that postmenopausal women with a high-salt diet lose more bone minerals than other women of the same age.   

"The salt content of the typical American diet is one of the reasons why calcium requirements are so high," says Linda K. Massey, PhD, RD, a professor of human nutrition at Washington State University in Spokane. Studies show that regular table salt, not simply sodium, causes calcium loss, weakening bones with time. That’s important because Americans get about 90% of our sodium through salt.

We also get about twice as much sodium as we should. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans advise limiting sodium to 2,300 milligrams a day – equal to a teaspoon of salt. But most Americans get at least 4,000 milligrams a day.

Getting the recommended amounts of calcium and vitamin D every day helps offset bone loss from salt.

Adults up to age 50 require 1,000 milligrams of calcium daily -- the equivalent of three 8-ounce glasses of milk.Older adults need 1,200 milligrams of daily calcium – about half a glass more of milk.

As for vitamin D:

People need 200 International Units (IU) of vitamin D a day until age 50.Adults need 400 IU of vitamin D from the ages of 51 to 70 years.Seniors need 600 IU of vitamin D a day after age 70.

Good sources of vitamin D are natural sunlight and from fortified milk, egg yolks, saltwater fish, liver, and supplements.

If you think you can’t lower your salt sufficiently, eat plenty of potassium-rich foods, such as bananas, tomatoes, and orange juice. Potassium may help decrease the loss of calcium.

I will avoid salt intake at all cost during confinement since bone structure at pelvic is already weak to begin with.

The pain worsened as I had 2 near slip incidents recently.  Almost tripped over the carpet at office and skidded over spill that I wanted to clean up yesterday.  At 38 weeks pregnant, I can't afford a fall. Felt my bone stiffened under the weight and pressure of baby as I can hardly turn myself in bed without agony. 

Getting out of bed takes at least 10 minutes each day and worse If I have to crawl from floor level up as the kids insist on sleeping with me. Well I obliged as I can't be doing this during confinement and they jolly well do not want to share a room with me since I will be perspiring from the unbearable heatwave without the luxury of an aircon.

No comments:

Post a Comment